The four story, 130,000 sq. ft., warehouse building was constructed 1901 – 1902 for the Berdan Company, which required both manufacturing and storage space for their business involving wholesale groceries, coffee roasting, tea importing and cigar manufacturing. Established in 1836, Berdan’s was at one time the largest wholesale grocery business between Chicago and New York.
Designed by architect George Stafford Mills, the building was based on Richardson’s Marshall Field warehouse in Chicago and incorporates large, well proportioned open arches surmounted by a group of three smaller arched openings with terra cotta around the base and doorways. The outside walls are of solid masonry and are bearing walls.